It may be really frustrating when you try to call your friend and find that your discord mic not working. This is not only with you, but many of the users are also getting this problem. You might have tried connecting and disconnecting it, but it couldn’t solve your problem.
When discord not picking up the mic, this might be a problem with your system not with your headset. These issues have different fixes that you may try to fix your mic. We have compiled some of the fixes here to help you.
Before you head to the fixes, it is advised to check your headphones. Try using another headset, if it is normally working than your headset might have the issue. But if still discord not detecting mic, then you should try these methods to fix issue discord mic not working.
How to fix the ‘Discord Mic not working’ issue?
Lets now start with the fixes that can solve your ‘Discord mic not working issue.’ Here are they-
1. Reboot your PC and Discord
Image Source: lifewire.com
Before trying any other method to fix this issue, you must try rebooting your system and Discord. This might solve your problem if the issue is temporary. After restarting it, test your Mic if it’s working. If not, move to another method.
2. Log out of Discord
Image Source: wikihow.com
Another method that is quick and easy to fix the issue ‘Discord voice chat not working‘ is to log out and log in again in your Discord. This is again for temporary issues. To log out and log in into the Discord again, follow the given below steps-
- To log out, you would need to click on the settings icon which is located at the bottom of the left side of your screen.
- It will open the Users Settings option, in this scroll down and click on the logout option.
- Now, it will open a confirmation window, where it would ask you to confirm that you want to Log Out of Discord. Just click on the Log out option again to confirm.
- Once it gets logged out, you would need to re-enter your Discord credentials to log in back into it.
- After you logged in, Test your mic is it is working properly.
3. Run Discord As an Administrator
Image Source: drivereasy.com
There may be circumstances that your Discord Mic won’t work when it does not have full permissions. It uses UDP to send data to other parties. For this, it requires system permission. To solve the issue you may simply quit Discord and run it as an administrator. Follow the given below steps to fix with this method-
- Go to the windows taskbar and find the Discord icon on it. If you are unable to see it in your taskbar you can check it in the hidden icons. To check, click the Up arrow on the taskbar and it will show icons.
- Right-click on the Discord icon and Click on the Quit discord option on the menu.
- Now, on your Desktop, right-click on the shortcut icon of Discord, and in the menu, click on ‘Run as administrator’ option.
- It will ask you for the user control in a window, click on Yes.
- Test your Discord mic voice activity to check whether it has solved the issue or not.
4. Update your Drivers
image Source: YouTube.com
If you have followed the above-given fixes and still your Discord Voice not working, then you should try updating your drivers. There is a possibility that your drivers are old or there could be any missing driver in your system, that’s why your Discord mic stopped working. Here are the steps you need to follow to update your drivers-
- There are two ways to update your drivers, one is manually updating drivers and the other is automatically. If you choose to manually update your system drivers, you can do this by visiting the manufacturer’s website or can also search for the recent drivers. But, before updating, make sure that the drivers are supporting the windows system variant you have on your PC.
- If you go for the automatic method, You would need to download and install Driver Easy software on your PC. This software can automatically detect in your system which driver is missing or needs an update and can update it.
- Open Driver Easy and click on the scan now button. It will scan the drivers on your PC.
- If you are using the pro version you can click on update all option to update all problematic drivers of your PC. But if you are on the free version, you can simply choose the audio driver of discord to update.
- Once it gets updated, test your Discord by transmitting voice.
5. Reset Voice Settings
Image Source: Drivreasy.com
This method can solve the ‘Discord no one can hear me’ issue in most of the cases. There could be a problem with your voice settings because of which you can’t talk on discord. To solve this, you would need to follow the given steps-
- On the Discord window, click on the bottom left side located settings icon.
- In the settings, you would need to click on the Voice & Video Option.
- In this option, Click on the Reset Voice Settings button.
- It will ask you to confirm. Click okay.
- Wait for some time to get Discord prepared.
- Now connect your headset again and try sending a voice message to check.
Discord is a dedicated chat app for gamers. checkout Best Xbox 360 Emulators for pc to download in 2020.
6. Enable Automatic Input Sensitivity Settings
Image Source: Reddit.com
If still Discord Mic not working, you can try enabling Automatic Input Sensitivity settings. The issue with your Discord mic can persist if the automatic Input sensitivity settings option is disabled in your system. To enable this, you would have to follow the given steps-
- Gp to the users setting icon you will find in the bottom left corner of Discord.
- Under App settings, go to Voice & Video option.
- Now scroll down and click on the Input Sensitivity.
- Turn on the toggle of Automatically determine the input sensitivity option (If not already enabled).
- Connect your Headset and try speaking something in the mic. If the below-given bar lights up to green go to the next step.
- Now disable the toggle and check whether the manual slider is positioned in the middle or not. If not keep it in the middle of the bar.
- Again test the mic and if the manual bar pulsates then your issue would get solved.
7. Select your Headset microphone under Input Settings
Image Source: Appuals.com
If you are still having the problem, try this method. There may be chances that Discord has selected your system’s inbuilt mic instead of your Headset Mic. This problem occurs mostly in gaming laptops or laptops that have the inbuilt mic. In Discord, the mic is usually selected as default, and this could be the reason discord not detecting mic. Therefore you would need to change it to your headset. To do this, follow these steps-
- Go to the user settings in Discord by clicking on the settings icon.
- Under Apps settings, go to Voice & Video.
- Click on the Input device ad in the drop-down, select your headset mic.
- Also, make sure that the input volume option in your device is set on maximum.
- If you don’t know the name of your headset mic, then simply connect the headset and click on the audio icon in the Windows taskbar. In the opened window, click on the Recording tab. Talk on your mic, and check which microphone icon lights up. This way, you will get the microphone’s name.
8. Disable Exclusive Mode in Windows
Image Souce: howtoconnect.com
There are many applications that use exclusive mode for the audio drivers. Due to this, Discord Voice activity may get interrupted. To solve it, you will need to disable the exclusive mode in windows. Here are the steps to disable exclusive mode in Windows-
- Go to the Windows Taskbar and right-click on the Volume icon.
- In the opened menu, Click on Recording Devices.
- Select your headset microphone and click on properties.
- Go to the Advanced tab in the opened window and uncheck the box given for exclusive mode.
- Click apply.
- Reboot your PC and check if Discord transmitting voice properly.
9. Provide App Permission
This is probably something that needs to be checked on in the very beginning before trying out all the methods above. Well, if the discord mic isn’t still working, this is a proven method updated just for all the users to make things easier. So, you need to follow the steps below as mentioned.
- Go to Windows Settings on your Windows 10 system or simply press “Windows + I”
- Click on Privacy and select Microphone from the left-panel.
- Toggle the button to On beside “Allow Apps to access your microphone“
- Simply save the setting you made just now.
That is all you need to currently do now. After this, check and see if the issue is resolved. Hopefully as confirmed by many users, this was the simplest and the most meaningful solution that didn’ involved any troubleshooting. Make sure you follow each steps carefully.
These steps and different ways are more than enough for you to lead you in the right direction. There are cases where the issue maybe because of the external factors such as your earphone jack or the microphone hole may be having some issue. Simply keep updating all the drivers and software on your system to avoid any such issues in the future. In fact, to understand things more clearly, you can have a look at the video below.
Here is a quick video to set up audio and voice setting in discord:
These were the methods to fix your discord mic not working issue. Try these and it will solve your mic issue. If you are still unable to fix the issue try reinstalling Discord as there may be some problem in the installation of the software. Another thing you may do is install Reimage Repair software which would detect the missing and corrupt files and would help you in repairing it.