Avast is a popular and award-winning antivirus program. Although it provides the best security, you may sometimes need to disable Avast. Read here how to Disable Avast if you want to disable it permanently or temporarily.
Avast provides your PC complete security, but in this process, its shields may interrupt your working. You may get problems in downloading third-party firewall or any other software. The reason for getting issues could be your Avast as it stops the users to download software from the sites which are not in its database for security reasons.
This may be an interference in your work. You can stop avast from interfering in your downloads and that can be done if you turn off Avast.
How to Disable Avast?
Disabling Avast would help you to do your work without interference especially when it’s about using a third party software in the app. However, it is recommended to disable only if you have some important work and you are downloading trusted software. Otherwise, you should keep the software on to keep your PC secure. If you want to know the process to stop Avast, here we will guide you How to disable Avast. You
1. How to Temporarily Disable Avast Antivirus?
When you are getting problem in the installation of any software or high CPU usage of your system is detected you may try to temporarily disable Avast. Now the question arises how to temporarily disable avast? Here is the method with which you would be able to turn off avast temporarily.
Disable Avast in Windows 10
Want to disable Avast in windows 10? You can do that easily by disabling specific shields of Avast antivirus. If you want to disable only a single or specific shield of Avast in your Windows PC then you can try these steps which are provided below.
- Open Avast interface on your PC. To open you would need to double click the Avast icon on the desktop or by clicking the icon available in your system tray.
- Once the dashboard opens, click on the protection tab you would get to the left of the screen.
- In the protection option, click on the Core Shields option.
- Here you would get the name of the shields and a toggle button with each name.
- Turn off the shields you want to stop.
- You can also get the shields option by clicking on settings in the dashboard, then active protection or components.
- Once you click to deactivate, you will get 4 options – stop shields for 10 minutes, 1 hour, until the computer restarts, or permanently. Choose the one you prefer.
- After disabling the shields you want you would see a yellow-colored main window and the toggle switches would show off.
- In the dashboard, it will show a message that the shield is off and a green button would be available to turn it on again. You can turn on the shields anytime by clicking here.
- Exit the antivirus window after which you can do your work without any disturbance.
Disable Avast on Mac
If you are using a Mac PC, don’t worry we have the method with which you can shut down avast from your PC. Here are the steps you should follow to disable avast in mac-
- First, you would be required to go to the search bar of your Mac PC and type ‘Avast’ in the box. Hit the search icon to search the software.
- Now you would get the software as a result, tap on it to open Avast security antivirus.
- Now as the avast window opens in your PC, in the dashboard screen look for the preferences option. You would get this option on the left bottom of the screen. Click on the option.
- In this option, you would get three types of avast shields namely web shield, mail shield, File system Shield, and Avast Shield. With the name of each shield, you will get a disable option for it.
- Click on Disable option to deactivate the shield you want.
- It will ask you to enter the admin password. Enter it and confirm. It will disable avast in Mac PC.
- If you want you can disable all shields.
- Once you have done with your work for which you turned avast off, you can enable it back. To enable it you would again need to go to the preferred option from the dashboard and this time you will get enable option with each shield you have disabled. Click on enable and again your Avast will start working.
2. Completely Disable your Avast Antivirus
If for some reasons you want to stop all shield of avast, you can follow the given below steps with which you can disable avast completely-
- First, go to the Windows taskbar, click on the upside arrow in the right corner of the taskbar.
- In the opened system tray, right-click on the Avast icon you will see in it.
- It will open the menu from which you need to click on the avast shields control option.
- It will open a submenu with 4 options- disable for 10 minutes. for 1 hour. until the computer restarts or permanently.
- You can select any option as per your preference, to permanently kill it, you can select the 4th option.
- Now, avast will ask for confirmation with a pop-up window having a message “An attempt has been made to turn off a key avast! Module (All shields). This may be a legitimate action, but could also be the result of a malware attack.”
- Click yes to confirm and it will disable all shields of avast for the duration you have selected.
3. Uninstall Avast permanently
If you do not want to turn on avast again, you can uninstall avast antivirus to stop permanently. This you can do through your control panel in programs or can use the removal tool to uninstall. We do not recommend you uninstall the antivirus as it could hamper the protection of your PC.
However, we suggest you use some other antivirus for your PC protection if you have decided to uninstall Avast.
Steps to Disable the Avast Firewall
When you want to disable the firewall only you can try the given steps. But before you follow them, it is recommended to disable the avast firewall when you are offline as it would not invite potential hackers. Here are the steps to disable the firewall of avast-
- Go to the search box and type avast and click enter. You would get Avast in the list. Click on it to open. Or you can double click on the avast icon available in the system tray.
- In the dashboard of Avast, click on the Protection tab. Alternatively, you will see a message in the dashboard “firewall is active’ click on active.
- Here click on the Firewall option.
- In the option, you would get a green toggle button, switch it off.
- Now you will get four options- disable the firewall for 10 minutes, 1 hour, stop until your next restart, stop indefinitely.
- You can choose any option as per your preference to deactivate the firewall.
- You can also turn off the firewall from settings>components>firewall. Here button for on and off is available.
- Once it gets disabled, you will see a yellow sign status in the dashboard which you can remove by clicking on the ignore button.
These were the methods with which you can deactivate your avast and stop it from interfering in your download or work for temporarily or permanently. You would now not have to worry about downloading third-party software. You can enable your antivirus back whenever you want after completing your work.