It is not a secret anymore that people all around the world have been using multiple types of operating systems on their system. Either it is a Windows or iOS operating system. From Android to Linux Operating system. To all the Linux enthusiasts, here is a detailed information blog on Linux Operating System Download for your PC or your laptops.
Not many of you may be familiar with the features of this particular operating system since many refer to go for Windows or iOS on their system. But with the increasing demand since it provides greater stability has made it favourable by users even more. Before we jump over to simply have the Linux OS download on your system, first let’s see what is a Linux Distribution and the benefits associated with it.
What is a Linux Operating System?
Linux is an open-source operating system for computers, servers, mainframes, mobile devices, etc. It is distributed under an open-source license. Its functionality list is quite like UNIX. One of the biggest benefits that it provides the users is that it is absolutely free to download and does not include any added cost.
Furthermore, if you are well versed with programming languages you can easily modify it according to your needs. You will be thrilled to know that it does not require any kind of Antivirus since it is highly secure, more so than an iOS system. Linux is the OS of choice for Server environments due to its stability and reliability (Mega-companies like Amazon, Facebook, and Google use Linux for their Servers).
Types of Linux Operating Systems or Distributions
Linux has multiple distributions or versions to suit the multiple needs of the users. There are tons of Linux Distros out there and it is difficult to name all of them at once. While some are very unique and widely used, some simply clone of one another with different features. A typical Linux distribution comprises a Linux kernel, GNU tools and libraries, additional software, documentation, a window system (the most common being the X Window System), a window manager, and a desktop environment.
While most of the listed below are free and open-source, some could be having a small price to be paid. More than 600 Linux Distributions are available, only a few have been the most popular over the years as listed below.
- Linux Mint
- Elementary OS
- MX Linux
- Zorin OS
Each of the above mentioned Linux Distros has been among the best and has been built to serve some specific purposes. Not to forget Linux Operating systems are highly secure and all the above have unique designs and complete security.
System Requirements for Linux Operating System Download
Well, if you are a beginner, then you need to start off with downloading the simplest Linux OS i.e. Ubuntu. It is easy to download and learn and totally free of cost. So, before we move on to the instructions to install and download let us get down to the system requirements.
- 2 GHz dual-core processor
- 4 GB RAM
- 25 GB of hard-drive space
- VGA capable of 1024×768 screen resolution
- Either a CD/DVD drive or a USB port for the installer media
- Internet access is helpful
These are more of the recommended requirements for the operating system to work smoothly. You can also go for better screen resolution and hardware for higher performance. All 64-bit (x86-64) CPUs should be fast enough to run Ubuntu and can run the 32-bit (x86) version as well.
Linux Operating System Download and Installation
Considering the fact that you are completely new to this operating system. We will be downloading the most common and lightweight Linux OS i.e. Ubuntu. You can easily get the ISO file on the web for free or a CD/DVD without having to make any changes to the hard drive.
Step 1: Linux OS Download- Ubuntu
Visit the Official Site of the Ubuntu Operating system to download the OS and install it accordingly. Now, click on the download button and wait for the file to download Linux on your system. Here we are downloading the ISO file and booting it to the USB stick further.
Step 2: Create A Live USB Version Of Ubuntu
Well, to run the Ubuntu OS on your system, you will need a USB version of the operating system. For this, we will be using the Etcher software that works on multiple types of OS such as Windows, iOS, Linux, etc.
- We’re going to download Etcher and use it to create a bootable “Live” USB stick for the latest version of Ubuntu i.e. 19.10.
- Simply insert the USB on your system and open the official website of Etcher.
- It will automatically download the right software based on the operating system you are working on.
- Run the file as instructed after downloading.
- Next, select or browse the ISO file of Ubuntu 19.10 and select it.
- Pick out the drive you have just inserted.
- Click on Flash.
Your work here is done with preparing the USB stick that will help you install the Linux OS on your system.
Step 3: Prepare Your PC To Boot From USB
Now, the next series of steps will be to use the USB to boot your PC making it compatible to install the Ubuntu OS or make it worth working.
- Go into the BIOS screen of your PC using hotkeys such as Del or F1 or F2 depending on the PC brand you have.
- Once you’re in the boot menu, select your live CD or USB. Once you’ve changed the settings, save and exit the BIOS setup or boot menu. Your computer will continue with the boot process
Some systems will directly boot using the USB you have inserted or you may have to use the specific keys for it.
Step 4: Ubuntu OS Installation- Starting
Now that you have created the USB version of Ubuntu and also booted your PC. Simply restart your system after all the changes have been saved.
Now, the screen will allow you to install the Ubuntu OS, and also these USB versions will provide you with a test run of the Linux OS. As a user, you can navigate around the interface and see for yourself how it works and other important features.
- Look for the Installation file on the desktop and launch the application.
- You can choose from Install Ubuntu and Try Ubuntu.
- Select the language whichever suits you the most and also the Keyboard layout after that.
- Connect with your Wifi for any updates automatically.
- In the update and other software section, click on “Normal” at the top for the fully-featured experience and check the box for “Install third-party software”.
- Click on Continue.
Step 5: Ubuntu OS Installation- Installation Type
Now moving on, you will be asked to select the drive where you will be installing Ubuntu. Since it is an entire operating system, the file is of a massive 128GB. We will have to create a separate partition to install the operating system. A partition is a portion of the hard drive that is formatted specifically for that operating system.
- You can select the option “Erase Disk and Install Ubuntu” where all the files already on the disk will be erased.
- Or select “Something Else” where you can create a partition yourself to not harm the files on your current operating system.
- Click on Install Now.
A small window will appear with an overview of the storage options you’ve chosen, with the chance to go back if the details are incorrect.
- Click Continue, to fix those changes in place and start the installation process.
Step 6: Ubuntu OS Installation- Location and Login
After selecting the desired storage location, and starting the installation process. You will now have the option to select the location and put in the login information to secure the admin access to this Operating system.
- If you are connected to the internet, your location will be read automatically. Or you can select by yourself. Click on Continue.
- Create login information to make your system more secure.
- Now, the installation will continue in the background.
After all the steps have been covered and you have carried out each function as recommended. Click on Restart now on the screen. Remove the USB or the CD/DVD you have been using when prompted.
This is it, you have now successfully downloaded and installed Linux OS on your PC or laptop.
Conclusion- Linux Operating System Download
We have learned above every aspect of Linux operating system download and all the steps needed to install Ubuntu OS on the system. There are tons of other Linux OS as well that you can easily download for free from their official website. Only small little details need special attention otherwise all the other process is very simple and only needs follow up.
Moreover, all the links to the website leading to each of the operating systems have been mentioned on the official Linux website. Any user can select it from there and download it. Well, it may get tricky if you are already running an existing operating system. The part leading to the partitioning of the disk may take a while and needs to be done clearly or you may lose data.
For more information on Activating Windows 10 on your system, you can check out more here.
If you are looking for any assistance, simply leave a comment below and we can help you download the Linux Operating system every step of the way.