If you come across “Unfortunately google play services has stopped” error message on your Android phones, well there isn’t anything to worry about. Many users have been reporting the same issue several times and we have tried out multiple ways to get rid of it.
The reason behind this can be anything. It could either be an issue with the data being corrupted on the Play Store app or anything that has to lead to such an error. So, without wasting any more time, let us get back to how you can fix this error. Make sure you follow the steps that we have written down and hopefully it will work for you.
What is the “Unfortunately google play services has stopped” error?
Many Android users have been getting the “Unfortunately google play services has stopped” error message on their smartphones as soon as they try to open the play store. Immediately this message will pop up on the screen, Google play services will stop working and restrict you from updating or downloading any application.
Not only this, but it will take time for other applications to start as well on the smartphone since everything will freeze out as soon as you open Play Store.
It is frustrating and difficult for users to operate in such circumstances. There are multiple proven ways that can help you fix the issues. Let us see what methods we can try out.
“Unfortunately google play services has stopped”- How to fix the error?
Here is the list of methods or different proven fixes that everyone can try one by one.
Method 1: Clear Google Play Services Data and Cache
The main reason that you are getting the Google Play services error is due to faulty data or bad code. Well, for this you first need to get rid of the storage data and cache on the application. Here is how you can delete it.
- Go to Settings on your Android phone.
- Scroll down and click on Apps & Notification.
- Press on “See all apps”.
- Look for Google Play Store and click on it.
- Go to Storage & cache.
- Click on “CLEAR STORAGE” and accept “OK” when prompted to clear data.
- Repeat the same for “CLEAR CACHE”.
Once you are done with the above, delete the data for Google Play Services as well. Now, Restart your phone to save the changes. Try opening the app once again. Hopefully, the error has gone now.
Method 2: Remove and Re-Add your Google Account
Another method that you can try out to fix the issue due to which google play store keeps stopping. Here you are advised to remove your Google account from your phone and re-add it. Make sure you have synced all the data before following the process below.
Removing Google Account
- Click on Settings.
- Scroll down and press on Accounts.
- Look for your Play Store Google account and click on it.
- Click on Account Sync to save all the data from your phone to the account.
- Once done, go back and Press on “Remove Account”.
- Click on Remove Account again on the pop-up message. (“Removing the account will delete all of its messages, contacts, and other data from the phone”)
- Wait for a while, and restart your phone.
Re-add Google Account on the Phone
Now, you can add your Google account again to your smartphone and restore all the data back.
- Go to Settings and click on Account.
- Press on “+ Add Account” on the bottom.
- Select Google and click on it.
- Now, fill in the details and Sign in.
After all the process above, sync all the data back to your phone. Try using Google Play services.
Method 3: Uninstall Updates
With Google rolling multiple updates for their applications, some may not be stable enough causing such errors. So, uninstalling the updates for the Google Play store can fix the error message popping up.
- Open Settings on your phone.
- Go to Apps & Notifications and expand the list of apps.
- Scroll down and click on Google Play Store.
- Click on the “three dots” on the top-right of the screen.
- Tap on Uninstall Updates.
- A pop will appear on the screen “Replace this app with the factory version? All data will be removed.”, click OK.
This process has now removed all the updates and data from your Play Store and returned to its factory version.
- Go back to Home and click on Google Play Store.
- Google will ask you to agree to the Google Play Terms of Service. Click on Accept.
- Tap on three horizontal lines on top. And Go to Settings.
- Click on the “Play Store Version”, a pop will appear “A new version of Google Play Store will be downloaded and installed”. Tap on OK.
- Wait for Google to install the necessary updates.
- Restart your phone.
Since you have cleared out all the corrupted data from your phone concerning the “Unfortunately google play services has stopped” error message. You may no longer encounter any such error.
Method 4: Factory Reset
This is the last method that you can perform on your device. Well, to give you a little heads up, it will remove all the data from your phone including all the photos, contacts, files, etc. The factory reset is something that you should always keep as the last option since all the above methods will solve your issue.
If at all nothing seems to be working, only then should you go for Factory Reset. Before this, make sure all your device’s data is synced with your Google Account, keep all the photos on Google Photos, and save all the other important data on Google Drive.
Once you have done all this, simply head over to performing Factory Reset. After this, Sign in to your Google account again and sync all the data back in.
Many sites might be showing or recommending to directly perform a Factory reset on your phone which is unnecessary. It is a hectic process and takes a lot of time to set up the device all over again.
Instead, it is better to keep things simple and perform all the other methods as mentioned above. As soon as you are having the error message, the first thing that you should always do is start by simply restarting your phone. There are chances that you need no have to do any other fixes.
Furthermore, for more information on How to fix “Windows 10 Taskbar not working”, click on the link.
Keep trying the fixes above, if you encounter any issue, leave a comment below. You can bookmark this page and return back to us whenever needed.